Secrets of Finding the Right Designer/Contractor
What all things should you keep in mind when you are trying to find out a designer or a contractor to build or renovate your dream house? Remember, you don’t build or renovate your house everyday or every year. So, it is imperative to make the right choice. Given below are the points that you must ponder upon, while you choose;
- Get references from people in your circle who has got their houses renovated or built. They would be able to share hands on experience and from that, you might be able to choose if you want to select a particular contractor
- Do your own fact finding. Get to different websites of contractors, and check things like their tenure in the business, their specialization, weather they use subcontractors or the operations are handled by their own workforce, testimonials, etc.
- Ensure you have a direct and open communication with the contractor. Ask them questions on their statement of work, ask them is they would assign a fixed workforce or they would rotate. Enquire about their payment terms. Talk to them about the execution, the material that will be used, the completion date, etc.
- Make sure you call and seek feedback about the contractor. Make sure you check their licenses, BBB ranking. When you call the references, do ask questions about the quality of work as well
- Ask the contractors about the materials that are being used. Make sure they are sourced from legitimate suppliers. Bad quality materials would directly impact the longevity of the construction
- One of the main things to focus on would be the pricing. Make sure you have studied the market well. As for estimates and compare the same with other contractors. Make sure what is being presented suits your pocket. At the same time, don’t settle for a contractor just because he or she is offering a cheaper price, as later you might have to bleed through your nose
- Take a fair understanding of the communication process between the contractor and the workforce. It is extremely important for the contractor to communicate to the workforce the exact plan of execution
- Ask for the contractor’s standard operating procedures of addressing problems and solving them
- It would a great idea if you could get to a project where work is in progress by the contractor or when the contractor has just concluded. That ways, you will get an idea of the contractor’s work
- One of the most important things apart from pricing is the quality of work. Your house is a place you will live in. safety and security must be looked at. You must ensure that once you have the entire work done, you don’t have to worry about anything else